- Pyin Oo Lwin
- Hpa An
Almost everyone who visits Mandalay goes to this hill. It is the landmark of Mandalay and also serves as a natural watchtower because it overlooks the city. Visitors often watch the sunrise or sunset over the city plains here because of the stunning views. According to legend, the Lord Buddha visited the hill and made a prophecy that a great city would be established at its foot.
The Myan Nan San Kyaw, or Royal Palace, was the first palace to be built in Mandalay. Constructed by King Mindon, who moved his capital from Amarapura to Mandalay, the location was chosen because of astronomical calculations and favourable omens. The entire palace complex was destroyed by fire during World War II, but it has been restored.
U Bein Bridge
Some 11km south of Mandalay. It became the capital of the Konbaung Dynasty in 1783 during the reign of King Bodawpaya. Places of interest are Pahtodawgyi Pagoda, U Bein Bridge across the Taungthaman Lake, Kyauktawgyi Pagoda, Nagayon Pagoda, Mahagandayone Monastery and cotton and silkweaving cottage industries.
Mahar Myat Muni Pagoda
The Maha Myat Muni Pagoda, also known as the Mahamuni Pagoda, is the holiest pilgrimage site in Mandalay. This pagoda houses the Maha Myat Muni Pagoda Buddha image, the most ancient and most revered of all Buddha images. The pagoda was built by King Bodawpaya, who took the Buddha image during his invasion of Rakhaing.
Sanda Muni Pagoda
This Mandalay attraction is most notable for its resemblance to the Kuthodaw Pagoda, because the Sandamuni also has many slender whitewashed ancillary stupas in its grounds. The Sandamuni Pagoda is best known for the Iron Buddha Sandamuni cast by King Bodawpaya of the Konbaung Dynasty in 1802. The cast was brought from Amarapura to its present location in 1874 by King Mindon.
The Kuthodaw Pagoda is home to what is considered as the world's largest book. The pagoda is surrounded with 729 slabs, with each slab having its own stupa and all 15 books of the Tripitaka are inscribed on the slabs. The building of this pagoda was started by King Mindon in1857, the same time work began on the Royal Palace.
Kyaut Taw Gyi Pagoda
This pagoda, whose name means ‘Great Marble Buddha Image’ was built by King Mindon in 1853 using the Ananda Temple in Bagan as a model. This is why the pagoda sharply resembles the Ananda's exterior. The fame of this attraction can be attributed solely to the large seated Buddha figure made from a single block of pale green marble. It is said that 10,000 men spent 13 days transporting the image from the Irrawaddy River to its current site.
A delightful river trip from Mandalay is required to get to this marvelous unfinished temple. Famous for the 90-ton Mingun Bell, supposedly the largest hung bell in the world, it was cast in 1790 on the orders of King Bodawpaya, who wished for it to be installed at the top of his planned giant 150 metre-high pagoda. Due to the king's death in 1819, however, the pagoda was never completed.
Built in 1857, the Atumashi Kyaung was one of the last religious construction projects of King Mindon. The name means 'Incomparable Monastery'. The Atumashi is an example of traditional Burmese monastic construction: it features a masonry base with a wooden building on top. However, instead of a multi-roofed design, it has graduated rectangular terraces.
Golden Place Monastery
This is not only another example of a traditional Burmese monastery, but it is also a piece of the old Mandalay Palace. Part of the royal palace where King Mindon died, the teak structure was moved out of the palace under King Thibaw in 1880 and was converted into a monastery.